Olterterp

Olterterp, to the east of Beetsterzwaag, is the smallest village of the municipality, with approximately 90 inhabitants. There is a church in Olterterp which was built in 1415, with a church tower dating back to the 18th century.

Olterterp, to the east of Beetsterzwaag, is the smallest village of the municipality, with approximately 90 inhabitants.  There is a church in Olterterp which was built in 1415, with a church tower dating back to the 18th century.

In the church, dedicated to Saint Hippolytus, there are 17th and 18th century tombstones, laid in the floor of the church.  On the walls hang funerary hatchments from the 18th century for the members of important families who owned the surrounding area: Boelens, Lycklama à Nijeholt and Hemminga. The church building is built from bricks (kloostermoppen) in Gothic style.  The church is maintained by the Stichting Alde Fryske Tsjerken (The Old Frisian Churches Foundation).  Concerts are regularly held here.

The Boelensstate was founded in 1793.  This country house was replaced in 1907 by the Huize Olterterp, a plastered villa with a hipped roof and a businesslike vernieuwingsstijl ('modernised style').  Huize Olterterp is currently used by It Fryske Gea. There is a coach house next to it, and on the Van Harinxmaweg there are two official residences.  Closer to Beetsterzwaag there is the stately home of De Horst, built in 1907 in vernieuwingsstijl, according to the design of the Luitje de Goed, an architect from Beetsterzwaag.

In Oltererp stands the characteristic hotel and restaurant the Witte Huis, a gorgeous spot to spend the night and for sitting out on the terrace.  The Witte Huis in Olterterp is a great starting point for walks through Olterterp Park across the Van Boelensommetje.